How to add or remove users in a study area in studentcentral
As an instructor you can add other colleagues to your study area. Your colleagues will usually need ‘instructor’ access to the study area.
Note: students are automatically added to study areas via an overnight feed from CAMS. Your admin team keeps the CAMS data up to date. Occasionally a student might be missing from the list. If this happens, ask your admin team to check that the CAMS data is up to date. You should not enrol students manually to a studentcentral study area.
In some cases students may need access to a study area which they are not formally enrolled on via SITS. In most cases, it is not necessary to enrol the student on the study area - most study areas allow guest access and are searchable. Students can search for any study area using the search box on either the Home tab or Studies tab.
How to add a user
Step 1 – adding a user
- Go to the study area where you want to add more users.
- In the Control Panel, click Users and Groups.
- Click Users.
- You’ll see a list of everyone who has access to the study area – the list shows both ‘instructor’ and ‘student’ users.
- Click Find Users to Enrol.
Step 2 – find the person’s username
- The easiest thing to do is to ask the person for their username. This method also prevents you accidentally enrolling the wrong user with a similar name! Just type in their username into the box provided
- Alternatively click Browse and then find the person using the Search box.
- Make sure you choose the correct user role (‘instructor’ or ‘student’ depending on who the person is; students are never given instructor access to a study area).
- Click Submit to finish.
How to remove an instructor from a study area
- In order to remove an instructor from a study area, you must first change the user role to ‘student’.
- In the study area, go to the Control Panel.
- Click Users and Groups.
- Click Users.
- Follow these steps:
- Click the Actions menu, next to the username.
- Click Change User’s Role in Course (note that, in studentcentral, ‘Course’ = ‘study area’).
- Click ‘Student’ then click Submit to finish.
You can now remove the user (see next section).