When you use any of the university libraries there are a number of different learning spaces available so you can decide what is best for your purpose. There are over 1700 study spaces, many with a networked computer. Wireless network is available throughout.
We recognise that you can learn from your friends so we have provided social study areas in all our libraries. Here you can discuss your work with your friends without worrying about disturbing others as a reasonable level of noise is tolerated, though we do ask that you are considerate of other students and staff.
Group study rooms
There are bookable group study rooms of various sizes in each of the libraries. These rooms are equipped with a selection of facilities that may include: whiteboard, flipchart, PC and plasma screens so that you can easily work in groups or practice presentations.
- Bookings are available to groups of 3 or more students
- Bookings can be made in hourly blocks up to a maximum of 2 hours per group per day
- Bookings can be made for the current week and the following week
- The room will only be held for 15 minutes after which time it will become available to other people
- Any bags or personal belongings left unattended for more than 15 minutes will be removed for safe keeping and the room will become available for use by another group
- If a room has not been booked students are welcome to use it on a first come first served basis but must vacate if it is subsequently booked
- Contact the library Help Desk to book a room. Bookings are restricted to student use only.
Silent study spaces
We know that on occasion you may prefer to study on your own in quiet. To help you achieve this we have designated various areas of the libraries as individual quiet or silent study areas.
In order to preserve the quiet study environment and to avoid disturbing other students, chatting - even discussion about your course work or exams, or using mobile phones is not permitted anywhere in these areas.
Cold snacks and drinks can be consumed in most areas of the libraries though we ask that you help keep the learning environment clean and pleasant for everyone by clearing rubbish into the bins provided.
Mobile phones can be used in the social learning areas and group study rooms but not in the silent study spaces or the corridors or stairs that lead to those areas. We ask that you switch your phone to silent when you come in.
See the acceptable behaviour policy
and library and equipment rules
for more information on what is and isn't allowed in the libraries and other Information Services public areas.