When you use any of the university libraries there are a number of different learning spaces available so you can decide what is best for your purpose, whether for individual or group study. See below for further details.
There are over 1700 study spaces, many with a networked computer. WiFi access is available throughout.
Quiet group study
We recognise that you can learn from your friends so we have provided group learning spaces. Here you can discuss your work without worrying about disturbing others as a reasonable level of noise is tolerated, though we do ask that you are considerate of other students and staff.
Bookable group study rooms
There are bookable group study rooms of various sizes in each of the libraries. These rooms are equipped with a selection of facilities that may include: whiteboard, scribble board, flipchart, PC and plasma screens.
To check availability and make a booking via our online booking system, please click the logo to the right of the page.
Please be aware of the following guidelilnes:
- Bookings are available to groups of 3 or more students. At Aldrich Library, rooms 7 & 8 are designated for larger groups, and booking requires a minimum of 7 students.
- A single booking of up to 2 hours can be made per group per day.
- Bookings can be made up to 14 days in advance.
- The room will only be held for 15 minutes after which time it will become available to other people.
- Any bags or personal belongings left unattended for more than 15 minutes will be removed for safe keeping and the room will become available for use by another group.
- If a room has not been booked students are welcome to use it on a first come first served basis but must vacate if it is subsequently booked.
- Bookings are restricted to student use only.
Please contact the Help Desk if you need to discuss any aspect of your booking, or if you have any questions.
Silent study spaces
We know that on occasion you may prefer to study on your own in quiet. To help you achieve this we have designated various areas of the libraries as quiet or silent study areas.
In order to preserve the quiet study environment and to avoid disturbing other students, chatting - even discussion about your course work or exams, or using mobile phones is not permitted anywhere in these areas.
Food, drink and phones
Cold snacks and drinks can be consumed in most areas of the libraries though we ask that you help keep the learning environment clean and pleasant for everyone by clearing rubbish into the bins provided.
Mobile phones can be used in the group learning areas and group study rooms but not in the silent study spaces or the corridors or stairs that lead to those areas. We ask that you switch your phone to silent when you come in.
See the acceptable behaviour policy
and library and equipment rules
for more information on what is and isn't allowed in the libraries and other Information Services public areas.