To be eligible for submission to the REF2021, all outputs accepted for publication from 1 April 2016 must have been deposited in an institutional (or subject) repository within 3 months of acceptance.
- Applies to journal articles or conference proceedings that have an ISSN.
- Must be deposited as soon after point of acceptance as possible, no later than three months from the letter of acceptance.
- Bibliographic metadata should be made open access immediately.
- Output deposited should be the author’s accepted and final peer-reviewed text (‘accepted author manuscript’, ‘final author version’, ‘post-print’).
- Outputs where the text is encoded as a scanned image will not meet the requirements.
- Outputs should if possible be licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Non-Derivative (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Outputs that are deposited under embargo should be made available on Open Access no later than one month after the end of the embargo.
To comply with requirements, embargo periods should not exceed the following:
- 12 months for REF Main Panel A and B
- 24 months for REF Main Panel C and D
The RCUK Open Access mandate came into force on 1 April 2013.
Any output published as a result of research funded by one of the councils should be Open Access from this date. Both the Gold and Green route to OA is accepted provided full open access is achieved within the maximum embargo periods specified.
- six months or less for STEM subjects; 12 months if no funds available for Gold
- 12 months or less for AHSS subjects; 24 months if no funds available for Gold
The university is in receipt of a block grant from RCUK to cover payment of Article Processing Charges (APC). Eligible researchers should apply to this fund which is managed by the Research Office.
Horizon 2020 Open Access policy came into force in December 2013.
Researchers are required to deposit an electronic copy of either the published version or the final accepted version into a repository and make sure that the output is Open Access. Both the Gold and Green route to OA is accepted provided full open access is achieved within the maximum embargo periods specified.
- six months in STEM subjects
- 12 months for publications in the AHSS.
Acknowledging funding in research papers.
RCUK and Horizon 2020 require funding information to be included in the acknowledgement section of the paper and also a statement on how underlying research materials, such as data, samples, and models can be accessed.